Aaaah, fall…my favorite time of year! The leaves are changing, the temperatures are dropping, and the humidity of the summer is a fuzzy memory, which makes my hair very happy. But with all that loveliness comes the possibility of allergies. Yup, your pets get them too. Here are some suggestions on how to banish the itchies and make autumn your pet’s favorite season too!
- You can’t avoid nature, and why would you want to? Instead, give your dog or cat a bath during allergy season to rinse off all of those potential irritants. Make sure you keep their bedding clean too!
- I know, I know…no one wants to make an extra trip to the vet, least of all your pet. But as soon as you notice any symptoms of an allergy attack, i.e. itching, sneezing, runny nose, high tail it to the doctor. Believe me, it’ll be better in the long run. No one wants a hot spot; ask my dog Maggie.
- Sometimes changing your pet’s diet can help. By adding things like fatty fish, eggs, sweet potatoes, and honey to their diet, you can help banish the itchies. These foods have an anti-inflammatory effect on your fuzzy buddy, which is healthy in every way possible, including for allergies.
- If nothing else seems to do the trick, ask your vet about immunotherapy. This is when your pet gets exposed to a tiny amount of his or her allergen on a regular basis, thereby building up an immunity to it. It’s just like the allergy shots we get.
Like cooking for your pets? Then try this recipe to help your fuzzy friend feel better!
Before feeding this, or anything for that matter, to your pet, make sure that none of the ingredients are known allergens for your pet.
Bee-Healthy Egg Scramble
- 1/2 tsp. coconut oil, extra virgin unrefined
- 1 egg, omega-3 enriched
- 1 tsp. raw honey
- 1/4 tsp. spirulina powder
In a small skillet, heat coconut oil over low heat. Add egg ad lightly scramble. Transfer egg to a separate bow, allow to cool, and add spirulina and honey.